Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Takin care of my babies....

I started these babies a few weeks ago...I'm always late starting them but I end up with tomatoes all the same......they are bigger than the pictures now and I will post more later....I have  thinned them and they are growing well.

I start my own now because I can get the varieties that I want....over the last few years I have been trying more heirloom varieties.....my absolute favorite has been the Cherokee purple which we have nicknamed affectionately around here, the "chocolate" tomato...

This year I am also growing Bi-color Cherry, Anannas Noir, Snowball, Pink Accordion, Green Zebra, and new for me this year, Aunt Ruby's German Green......updates will follow....

My second favorite has to be the Bi-color Cherry.......it made masses of the sweetest little tomatoes that had the best flavor.  I had them growing last year right off my porch and would go out there and pick and eat them like grapes.....

I bought my seeds from this source
although the Cherokee Purple and the Green Zebra came from this seed source
I love the seed package from Botanical Interests....the art on the  package and all, I am such a sucker for a cute package....they also give great growing tips etc inside the package.  




Ta-ta for now....making the world green, one tomato at a time!

No comments: