Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Midnight Tomato-pie-apalooza


I always have such good intentions with not much coming to fruition.....like all my good intentions to post every day. I wanted to get more pictures of the garden posted but now it is a mess...due to my lack of persistent care. My excuse?...the killer mosquitoes of course....they are stealthy...they lurk, they chew...on me. So instead today I will post about the yummy tomato pie that I made the other night. I've got the tomatoes busting out finally (my own fault for planting them late) and so I have been trying to come up with new ways to use them.....in my search on the Internet I came across the beloved fresh tomato pie. I had never heard of it while apparently everyone else had. I guess I am too sheltered! A tomato pie is exactly what it says...a pie shell filled with your most delectable back yard tomatoes, onions and fresh basil, then topped with a mixture of mayonnaise (I used the new olive oil version Hellmann's has out..good stuff!) Bake it in the oven and voila...a late night, late summer, late in the game, late tomato-pie-apalooza! It was quite wonderful...of course you have to wash it down with iced tea (Red Diamond of course) with a sprig of spearmint. Try it...you'll like it! I sure did. The only thing I would do next time is to take more time draining the tomatoes.....Just Google fresh tomato pie and a bazillion recipes will come up!


Here is a sampling of what I have grown this summer....a variety of heirloom tomatoes...so I put a variety in my pie.

Here is the pre-cooked pie. I have the Cherokee purple, Woodle orange and I believe a Brandywine in there....the Cherokee purple has been one of the favorites...

And here is a picture of the midnight pie itself!...No it really wasn't at midnight but it was about 9 oclock! Felt like midnight...........

Ta-ta.......

No comments: